Subject: Re: is there ready to run program to allow clients (Win95) to issue
To: Chan Yiu Wah <c5666305@hkstar.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/17/1999 08:59:38
On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Chan Yiu Wah wrote:

> I am now using the IPNAT to allow the machines (Win95) in the LAN to share
> the ISP dialup line.  However, I had to setup the link to the ISP first.
> I would like to know is there exist any program that can detect the clients'
> (Win95 boxes) request to issue the pppd if it is not already run or the link
> is disconnected.

If you start pppd with the "demand" and "idle (seconds)" options, it
will fire up the connection whenever there's traffic, and hang-up the
line when there's no traffic for the specified period. If you have the
right kernel options, you can even use "active-filter" to prevent
certain types of traffic from bringing up the connection or holding it
open. E.g.: "active-filter 'not udp port ntp and not tcp port imap2'".

> If I want to allow the machines to share more than one  dailup lines in
> the same netbsd box.  What should I do ?

It's easy enough to bring up two ppp connections, if you make only one
have the defaultroute option. For the other, you could add a route
manually to a news server or something. If you expect to simply double
your throughput transparently, I don't know that it's possible to do that.