Subject: Re: cc1 sleeping
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/03/1999 16:07:11
On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 01:39:56PM +0200, Boris Kimmina wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> beeing relatively new to NetBSD, I thought a good thing to start with
> might be building a new kernel. So I set up the (1.4) sources and did
> a 'nice -20 make' on the console.
>
> Compiling a linux-kernel on the same physical machine (Cyrix-486DLC40
> with poor 8 megs of RAM) usually took less than 2 hours so I'm really
> surprised to see that the new built hasn't finished yet - after one
> whole week of constantly flashing the hd led!

What compiler did you use to compile the linux kernel ,and with which options ?
Some other peoples have reported this, and it appears that 8MB is short for
a stock NetBSD 1.4 kernel: the GENERIC kernel (which holds all possible
options and devices drivers) is big, and egcs -O2 needs a lot of memory.
On 1.3, with gcc (2.7.2) -O things were much better.
--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>