Subject: Re: cc1 sleeping
To: Boris Kimmina <kimmina@myrna.in-berlin.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/03/1999 15:10:57
On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Boris Kimmina wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 13:30:11 -0500, Brian C. Grayson wrote:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wsrc  3091323 May  7 21:27 /netbsd
>
> Looks like I have to get rid of the install-kernel. That requires
> building a new one, doesn't it? ;-)

	The netbsd install kernel is particularly generic - it supports
	many extra options and hardware most people do not have. Its
	probably worth having an additional 'small' config without PCI
	or NETISO etc for people.

> >   One alternative to speed up your compiles a bit would be to do
> > "make -n > buildme" followed by "sh -e buildme", followed by a
> > "make" to make sure everything got built okay.  In this manner,
> > make will figure out everything that needs to be done, save all
> > that information, and exit (giving you 4M back).  Then, sh and
> > the compiles will happen, and since sh is small, you'll have 3-4M
> > more of RAM/swap/vm-in-general for the compiles.
>
> So this is the difference. And another one, I just dicovered: support
> is much better ;-)

	Since most of the time is spent in cc, I don't know how much the
	make -n / sh -e trick will gain, but if its anything worthwhile
	we should definitely add it to the compiling a kernel FAQ - let
	me know and I'll get the webpages updated :)

		David/absolute

     		  -=-  "cold nights, dark days..."  -=-