Subject: Re: ahc and raidframe questions
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/27/1999 11:19:49
On Saturday, 26 June 1999 at 17:35:12 -0700, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> Figures I've seen suggest that the DPT SmartRaid III and IV have
>> serious throughput problems on write.  If anybody has figures, or
>> wants to get them, I'd be interested in collecting them.  Again, I'd
>> plug my rawio program (ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/rawio.tar.gz), which
>> bypasses buffer cache and thus gives more accurate results for the
>> underlying storage equipment.
>
> 	Greg - any chance I could persuade you to create a pkgsrc entry
> 	for rawio? It should be pretty easy to do and would get it shipped
> 	on NetBSD CDs etc...

Sure, it wouldn't be difficult at all.  First I want to put it into
the FreeBSD ports collection, but I have some Linux changes to merge,
and the person who submit them completely reindented everything, so
I'm summoning up courage to fix things up.  Also, the NetBSD hooks are
a little primitive:

  #ifdef NetBSD
  #define srandomdev() srand ((unsigned) time (NULL))
  #endif

I'll take a look at that, too, when I have time.

Greg