Subject: Re: ahc and raidframe questions
To: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/26/1999 17:56:45
On 23 Jun 1999, Chris Jones wrote:

> Yeah, it's a good point.  But once the filesystem is there, it writes
> files at about 1.7 MB/s.  This seems really slow to me.  Of course, I
> might just have over-inflated expectations, but UW SCSI is supposed to
> be fast.

No, you don't have over-inflated expectations. I have an Adaptec
2940UW with a pair of new U2W Barracudas on it, striped with ccd.
Bonnie writes at about 22 MB/sec and reads at 27 MB/sec.

If you're interested in really good performance, RAID in software
probably just won't cut it in the end. You can either mirror, or
go with a hardware raid that uses tricks to get good performance.
(Baydel arrays, for example, use RAID 3 rather than RAID 5, and a
massive [64-128 MB] cache to turn the `lots of small reads and
writes' I/O load into something that a RAID 3 can handle well.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org