Subject: Re: Installboot problem.
To: Jeff Roberson <nomad@nop.aliensystems.com>
From: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@ghostpriest.rakis.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/23/1999 15:42:46
On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 07:17:38AM -0700, Jeff Roberson wrote:
> I accidently wrote boot, instead of boot_ffs to /dev/rsd0c, which replaced
> the first 50344 bytes of my disk.  Is there anyway I can possibly recover
> from this?  I can still mount /dev/rsd0d, but not rsd0a because it is
> corrupted. Some one tell me there is a magical tool to fix my disk? :-)
> Or at least some way I can recover some of the data.

I newfs'd /dev/rsd0c (I meant rfd0c...) once. I managed to recover though. I
think I was able to mount my partitions (only the first few were messed up)
and just abandon the files that weren't there totally. I might've fsck'd
too. Of course, that's not quite the same as just toasting the first 50k so
you're probably in a different league.

ps I have a screen shot of the aforementioned incident:
http://ghostpriest.rakis.net/~xiamin/art/imgs/ohno.jpg
--
-Simon Raahauge DeSantis