Subject: q3test + riva tnt working..
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/03/1999 00:04:02
Hello,

Thanks to Nvidia releasing Linux Xservers with GLX support, and source
diffs for Mesa/GLX/XFree86, I am able to use q3test under NetBSD/i386!
Very Cool!

I am having some difficulties with getting Quake2 running, mostly because
of this error:
ref_gl version: GL 0.01
./quake2: can't resolve symbol '__register_frame_info'

Has anyone else done anything with 3D cards under NetBSD/i386?  I
need to lookup the FreeBSD docs on getting Quake2 running yet, so
perhaps I'll still have some luck.

Also, are any of the X experts looking at importing the diffs for
the nvidia driver that were made available?  They are supposed to improve
performance a bit.  A specific example cited being stippled pattern
fills. (KDE logout screen)

It would be very nice to have a glx package with hardware 3D support
for Mesa *native* on NetBSD/i386. (and other PCI platforms if possible)
The current Mesa package client libraries seem to be able to use the Linux
Xserver GLX code ok, so presumably a native NetBSD/i386 Xserver + GLX
combo could be used with the Linux clients (like Quake!) and not require
the server to run under emulation.

I'll be working on building glx under NetBSD/i386 later tonight, or
tomorrow.  I don't want to try to reinvent the wheel if someone is already
working on this.

So some questions:
	1.  Is it likely the diffs to the XFree86 nvidia driver will be
	    put in the tree, or will we wait for XFree86 to incorporate
	    them, and import their code?
	2.  What about the diffs to Mesa-3.0 provided by nvidia?
	3.  Is there someone more Xpert (pun intended) who is planning on
	    porting glx?  Particularly the nvidia glx code.
	4.  Does anyone else care about having hardware 3D under NetBSD?

Thanks!!  Back to q3test! :)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.