Subject: Re: Advantage in MFS for /tmp? (was: About /tmp?)
To: Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/23/1999 11:22:54
On Mar 23, Joel Reicher wrote
> If that's the case, then what's the advantage in doing it? I've always been
> curious about this because AFAICT that's not different to choosing a larger
> size for the partition you would have otherwise had /tmp on, and decreasing
> your swap partition by the same amount.
>
> I guess one can be more easily reconfigured than the other, but is there
> another advantage?

An MFS file system is actually acting like any user-level process: it can have
some pages moved to swap space if needed.
That is, if you have a 50Mb MFS, but use only 2Mb on it, the VM system will
flush the unused pages to the swap partition if some RAM is needed for other
user processes.
Is a MFS /tmp faster or slower than a on-disk filesystem depends on
how much RAM you have and how you use it. On an average workstation with at
last 64Mb RAM it is a win.