Subject: Re: Login banner change?
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: Jon Lindgren <jonl@yubyub.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/11/1999 23:32:00
> > > Is is possible [using the stock login and telnetd] to change the login
> > > banner that the user sees (before logging in)?
> >
> > Perhaps I should've included that I would like it to cat a file, and
> > gettytab seems to only support a few strings or so...
> >
> > Is this possible?
>
> 	Nope, we don't seem to have support for doing that. It's
> actually telnetd and getty that would need to be tweaked to do
> this... it shouldn't be hard, and there are plenty of capabilites free
> in gettytab that could be used. I'd use "if", for "initial file", to
> go along with "im" for "initial message".

I could grab the sources and make a quick change.  Would adding "if" to
gettytab break any existing functionality, or will it just be discarded as
an invalid token?  If it will just be ignored, a quick change to
telnetd/getty should be relatively easy...  It could just cat the "if"
entry before the "im" is displayed.

Thanks for the speedy response.

-yubyub