Subject: Re: Trying (and failing) to Net-Boot a Sun 4M
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Smallwood <steve.smallwood@beulah.u-net.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/04/1999 21:28:58
Andrew Gillham wrote:

> sparc   root=server:/u0/sparc

Thanks for the info Andrew (and Jim - private reply) this has
helped me make some steps forward.

My Sparc is now getting information about the location of it's
root partition and is loading it's kernel which I guess is a
big leap forward from yesterday.

The problem I'm seeing now is that the kernel can only get so far
through it's boot process:-

nfs-boot: trying RARP (and RPC/bootparam)
nfs-boot: client_addr-0xa018c03
nfs-boot: timeout
nfs-boot: timeout
nfs-boot: timeout
nfs-boot: bootparam whoami, error=60
no filesystem for le0
cannot mount root, error=79
root device (default le0):

Can anyone explain from these rather cryptic error messages what
could be going on?  I'd be supprised if there was an NFS problem
since it managed to mount it's root partition long enough to get
and run it's kernel from the server.

I have also tried using the command:-
"boot /iommu/sbus/ledma:tpe/le"  that I found in one HOWTO but
this dies in the same way.  I have edited the clients host file,
fstab and myname files and have edited the clients /etc/rc file
with the command:-
"mount -t nfs -a -o -I=1024,-r=1024,-w=1024 servername:/root/path/
that I found in another HOWTO!

Many thanks for the help,

Steve Smallwood.

PS, I'll be away for a couple of days - I'll try again soon :)