Subject: Re: problems on routing
To: Olli <oliverko@dialup.nacamar.de>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/1999 20:40:25
Olli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using NetBSD as a dialup router. If I made a ping out of my
> network a connection to my ISP via modem will established. Okay on the
> Netbsd machine it works. I have also Linux on an other computer. The
> kernel routing table looks like this:
>
> destination          gateway        genmask            flags
>
> 192.168.1.0        0.0.0.0        255.255.255.0        U
> 127.0.0.0            0.0.0.0        255.0.0.0                   U
> 0.0.0.0            192.168.1.1    0.0.0.0                     UG
>
> The IP 192.168.1.1 is the address of the dialup router. So all
> packages going out of my network should routed from Linux to NetBSD.
> But if I made on Linux a ping out of my network nothing happens.

Well, I don't really understand your setup. Is it like this:

ISP <- modem line -> NetBSD <- local network (e.g. ethernet?) -> Linux

Does the NetBSD machine have the IP-address 192.168.1.1?
What IP-address has the Linux machine?
Have you got IPFORWARDING enabled on the NetBSD machine, i.e.
does it act as a router? When you ping the NetBSD machine from
the Linux one, does it respond? What does the routing table
on the NetBSD machine look like? what happens when you ping
to an IP-address outside the network? Does it reach the
netbsd machine, i.e. can you see it with tcpdump? ...?

You shuld try to explain in more detail what you already tried,
what you expected to happen, and what actually happened. Then
we have a chance to help you/suggest other things you can try.

Thanx,

  Guenther