Subject: [UPDATE 2] ne1: device timeout IMPORTANT
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Francesco Zerra <zerra@cmns.mnegri.it>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/1999 17:14:50
On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, I wrote:

> After I downloaded the 3C579-TP driver from the 3COM web site, I haven't been
> able to setup the card with new parameters yet (There's a note that says "This
> software option (refers to the EISA Configuration) does not apply to the
> EtherLink III EISA or Micro Channel adapters"). So, I'm still looking for any
> sort of information on the 3COM site...

Ok...
I started my box with Configuration Diskette and changed IRQ from 10 to 5 from
the BIOS setup and rebooted.
The 3C579-TP configurator (that comes within 3COM diskette) says that the card
is using IRQ channel 5 (as expected).

Instead, the NetBSD kernel (the GENERIC one too) tells me that the card is
still using IRQ 10!!!! (This appened also when I unplugged the NE2000 card)

I've also modified the /sys/dev/eisa/if_ep_eisa.c as follows:

	/* Read the IRQ from the card. */
	irq = bus_space_read_2(iot, ioh, EP_W0_RESOURCE_CFG) >> 12;
	irq = 5; /* Added this very bad hack :)) */

When machine boots, it finds the card at irq 5...but the card doesn't work :))
...Obviously I remove the previous hack...

Is there an explanation???

Francesco