Subject: Re: modern version of PGP for NetBSD?
To: None <talmage@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: None <sudog@dcss.douglas.bc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/27/1998 23:46:25
Last I heard pgp5.x is a free version released by Phillip K. Zimmerman.
Because of the types of laws in the U.S., he had written the entire thing
into a set of volumes, sent those overseas and then a european team had
scanned in v5.x by hand with ocr and made the first legitimately exported
pgp with all the bells and whistles..  in this manner they circumvented
the munitions blocks placed on such programs...

In any case, it is perfectly free to download from the international pgp
sites--someone selling it for $39.00 is probably either 1) ripping you
off, or 2) adding some of their own bloatware to the program..

I, for instance, have pgp version "linux50ib8" running on my Amiga 3000,
Netbsd-1.3 computer and it works perfectly if I do say so myself.

Marc Tooley
sudog@dcss.douglas.bc.ca