Subject: Re: Backing up NetBSD
To: Anders Dinsen <dinsen@danbbs.dk>
From: None <daemond@ibm.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/29/1998 21:55:07

Dump is the method of choice on this end.

The disadvantage of dump though is that it can be rather stupid on tape
length and then you have to punch in the tape size manually.  However,
when it comes to repairing a trashed partion there's no better method that
I know of.  Tar doesn't catch everything like dump so I'd advise against
tar.  Dump does is better and if you need compression there still are
little dirty methods of making it work with gzip (haven't had the
time/want to bother getting it fully working though with my TR-4 tape
drive).

Geoff Gowey			| NetBSD: the best multi-platform OS
steplogic(at)geocities.com	| www.netbsd.org
My PGP Key is availiable on my home page at: *
www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Lab/6749/ * Key id: 35E887AD
Length: 2048-bit | RSA Encryption | Generation date: January 19th, 1998
"All I ask is for the chance to prove that money can't buy me happiness"
Spammers beware: I do not buy from companies that spam and I keep track!
Above policy STRICTLY ENFORCED!