Subject: Backing up NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Anders Dinsen <dinsen@danbbs.dk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/27/1998 20:08:40
Suffering from a recent disk crash, I'm investigating methods to
backup my NetBSD boxes (I currently run two, one at home and one at
work).

I don't want to backup everything; although it enables me to recover
quite quickly from a crash, it does'nt allow me to use the backup for
upgrading packages and netbsd. Plus, installing NetBSD from scratch is
really easy.

So I would prefer a backup script that backs up all the important
configuration files that I have set up, plus my user data (home
directories, /usr/local etc).

I am building a list of configuration files, directories to backup, so
that I'm able to make a tar-archive of that on a regular basis. I
would also dump a list of packages I've installed (using pkg_info).=20

That way, it's easy to upgrade a package, since I would just uninstall
it, install the new version, and grab my configuration from my backup.
The same applies when I decide to upgrade NetBSD entirely.

So, what are you NetBSD users' experiences? Do you just dump(8) your
file systems as described, do you tar(1) the entire system from /, or
do you use a scheme better than the one I'm here proposing? E.g. RCS
or CVS control configuration files?

Anders