Subject: Re: X bit depth question...
To: Christopher Palmer <reid@pconline.com>
From: Jeff Mitchell <skeezix@skeleton.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/26/1998 23:30:00
On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Christopher Palmer wrote:

> Yeah, it's true all right. It was written for DOS, in the time of
> 640x480x8 screen resolutions...you know, waaayyy back in 1993...

	Totally guessing here, but I bet that Doom requires MITSHM as
well? If so, they are likely opting for the easy way into things -- in
8bpp, you can have a private palette, and life is easy. In truecolour, you
cannot, and have to remap colours on the fly for each pixel, which
*really* slows you down... or use X built in MITSHM region manipulation
functions, which suck, again on a pixel by pixel basis. (ie: for a project
I'm in, I've got specialized routines for different bit depths, since
theres different speed hacks you can do on each one. Its ugly, but its
reasonably fast). So I can see sticking to 8bpp, since they coudl run
fast. You go to 16bpp, and its usualyl 3 times slower...

		Jeff

-- Peter Jurasik as Crom, _Tron_