Subject: netscape for netbsd
To: Fujie Zhang <fzhang@NMSU.Edu>
From: Kevin Cousins <kevinc@obelix.premium.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/24/1998 14:35:12
>>>>> On Mon, 23 Feb 1998 19:17:36 -0700, Fujie Zhang <fzhang@NMSU.Edu> said:
Fujie> does anybody know where i can download a netscape communication
Fujie> or navigator for netbsd? pls let me know. thx.

The answer depends on which port of NetBSD you mean.

For NetBSD/i386, there are several alternatives, all of which involve
one sort of emulation or another: LINUX; FREEBSD, but perhaps the
easiest to work with are the BSD1.1/2.1 Netscape binaries, as they
involve only the addition of an "options COMPAT_NOMID" line in your
kernel config file, then a recompile.  The LINUX and FreeBSD
alternatives require similar kernel configuration changes as well as
the relevant shared libraries installed in the appropriate places in
/emul/{linux,freebsd}.

For other ports, I am not certain of the available alternatives---
perhaps it's possible that NetBSD/sparc might be able to run a SunOS
4.x binary from Netscape, but beyond that, your guess is as good as
mine.

Oh, and you'd be looking about under:

  /ftp@ftp.netscape.com:/pub/communicator/4.04/development/english/unix/

or there-abouts.