Subject: Re: dynamic IP and ethernet
To: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@alum.mit.edu>
From: Xiamin Raahauge <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/05/1998 17:23:46

--0-1537212998-884039026=:4621

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Dan McMahill wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with NetBSD and
> Media One Express Cable Modems (which have
> an ethernet interface and dynamic IP address)?
>
> Specifically, any suggestions on where to start
> reading about how to set up my NetBSD/mac68k box
> to work with dynamic IP addresses on the ethernet
> card?
>
> I want to have some of this figured out before
> calling MediaOne (and having them tell me to go
> buy a Windows PC)
>
> thanks
>
> Dan

I happen to use Mediaone's service with NetBSD. The program you're looking
to use is dhclient, but the documentation for the config file is basically
non-existant. Here's what you do:
Add this to /etc/netstart.local
dhclient sn0
Substitute ae0 if that's your ethernet driver. There is a problem when you
have multiple ethernet interfaces, but most likely that's not your
situation. If it is, let me know and I'll tell you the fix.
Ok, now you need an /etc/dhclient.conf file. Mine is attached, which I
use with Mediaone. Remember to customize this as needed, ie: change the
hostname stuff and the ethernet interface. And that should be it.
/etc/netstart.local will automatically fire up dhclient, which will handle
everything. This took me a while to figure out myself, so I'll be happy to
answer any questions you have. ;)

--0-1537212998-884039026=:4621
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--0-1537212998-884039026=:4621--