Subject: serial console on 1.3_BETA
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gerryt <gerryt@portal.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/08/1997 21:12:32
I've been through several hundred mailing list archives trying to
find info on bringing up a serial console bsd box using
1.3 BETA for an i386. I have this feeling that the info doesnt apply to
1.3 anymore.

What Ive gathered so far:

in your kernel :
options COMCONSOLE=0,CONADDR=0x3f8,CONUNIT=0,CONSPEED=9600

That's all I can find there.

Stumbling upon a man page called boot_console
suggests I rebuild and install new boot blocks.

After editing the appropriate Makefile and
running make install I new get a new /boot
and new boot files in /usr/mdec. ok.

/usr/mdec/installboot -v /usr/mdec/biosboot /dev/rwd0a
should do it or kill the disk totally...

Now assuming I have a console wired right on /dev/tty00
and all my /etc files are setup correctly I should get
a login prompt if I use tip or cu.

Am I getting warm?

If not please let me know ASAP. This is supposed to be done
by tomorrow morning : <
Guess what - Im not on this list - just the port-sparc one
so if you can assist, please email me directly at:
gerryt@portal.ca. sorry.

Thanks