Subject: SUMMARY: which printers will work?
To: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
From: Alex Barclay <alex@vsys.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/24/1997 08:44:41
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this about using ghostscript but...

In my understanding the fonts that come with ghostscript are reverse
engineered from the X fonts (correct me if I'm wrong here). If you
are using ghostscript as the imaging engine then if you get some "real
fonts". Such as those that come with Adobe Type Manager then you get
far superior results as the fonts scale well. Be warned though I was
using this on my PC at home and as I had a copy of ATM I felt that I
was within my license to use the fonts in this way (seeing as I'd
already paid for them when I bought Illustrator). I'm not sure about
licensing in a multi user environment.

These improvements were with an older 24 pin dot matrix. I could
easily tell the difference in quality. With a modern ink jet things
should look even better.

Alex (Font Snob) Barclay :-)

--
Alex Barclay			E-mail: alex@vsys.com