Subject: SUMMARY: which printers will work?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/23/1997 23:03:35
A few days ago I wrote:

> I was assuming I could get a low-end inkjet printer,
> and use various widely available tools to translate what I want to
> print to some kind of bitmap, and feed the bitmap to the printer.
> However, I can't find out how to do this [...]
> Surely there are people out there with printers attached to their
> NetBSD machines, perhaps even modern inkjet printers.  What works?

Several people kindly gave pointers, some on the list, some privately;
thanks to:
  Bob Beck <beck@obtuse.com>
  Thomas Boroske <y0001006@ws.rz.tu-bs.de>
  Andrew Cassin <acas@catt.rmit.edu.au>
  Marcus Deubel <i105@stio1.fh-wuerzburg.de>
  Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
  Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
  Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.east-arlington.ma.us>

almost all of whom pointed out that ghostscript can tranlate a file to
formats suitable for many printers.  One person also gave me the very
useful URL:
  http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/5682/postscript.html

The ghostscript reference was the crucial missing link; thanks all!

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Computing Services, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne@alcor.concordia.ca                                       (514) 848-7606