Subject: Re: which printers will work?
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.east-arlington.ma.us>
From: Bob Beck <beck@obtuse.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/22/1997 12:21:29

> Disclaimer: I work for HP, so I'm biased about which printer you
> should buy.. :-)

	I don't work for HP, but I am biased :-)

#include <bob/2cents.h>
Buy an HP, with postscript and preferebly ethernet on it.

	Anne, are you a sysadmin at concordia? I work at the U of A
where we have gravitated (after many years of painful experiences) To
JetDirect (ethernet) connected HP Laserjets on a Maze of twisty little
Unix versions (all different). Our main reason for the choice is
reliability and the ablilty to get a PAGECOUNT off of the printers
which many printer vendors don't seem to care about. (Not that I've
seen that HP does particularly, but there is a bunch of software on
the net you can get to deal with pagecounts on an HP). Drop me a
note off the list If you want more info about what we're doing.

	P.S. Pagecounts on printers are still an endless source of
fun. I am certain when I go to hell I will spend eternity in a room
full of various Unixii, and various printers, with my job to make them
keep pagecounts accurately. (Unless the evil one is crueller than I
imagine and mixes it with making modems work with
voice/fax/data/slip/ppp as well :)

	Cheers,

	-Bob