Subject: PPP anyone?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Al Qahir <bozo@wcrb.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/11/1997 09:24:50
Here's what I want to do:

I've got an old 386/33 running NetBSD 1.21.  It's on an Ethernet LAN which
is connected to the Internet via an ISDN router.  I want to put a modem on
one of the serial ports of the 386, connect it to a standard phone line,
dial it up from a Mac at another location, establish a PPP connection and
access Internet resources from the Mac.

The NetBSD kernel was built with PPP enabled.

I assume I need to have the remote user connect as a plain terminal, enter
his login name and password, and then have the 386 start pppd via a shell
script (is this right?).

So far I've been able to connect a computer directly to the 386 serial
port and use it as a terminal after editing /etc/ttys, but when I do it
through modems and a phone line I just get gibberish. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Rob Landry
bozo@wcrb.com