Subject: Daily Insecurity output
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/03/1997 10:56:54
Now that I have a working netbsd system handling mail for our domain,

law:~>uptime
10:51AM  up 15 days, 16:24, 1 user, load averages: 0.30, 0.15, 0.10

I'm starting to pay attention to the daily insecurity output. I've deleted
most of the bogus users from passwd, but there are a few other things that
show up every day.
Are any of these causes for concern, and if so, what is the best way to
address them?

-------
Checking root csh paths, umask values:
/etc/csh.cshrc /etc/csh.login /root/.cshrc /root/.login

Root csh startup files do not set the umask.

Checking root sh paths, umask values:
/root/.profile

Root sh startup files do not set the umask.
-------

Checking special files and directories.
dev/fd: user (0, 3)
	gid (0, 7)
	permissions (0755, 0555)
etc/mtree/special:
	user (0, 100)
	gid (0, 100)
etc/csh.cshrc:
	user (0, 100)
	gid (0, 100)
etc/csh.login:
	user (0, 100)
	gid (0, 100)
etc/csh.logout:
	user (0, 100)
	gid (0, 100)
etc/daily:
	user (0, 100)
	gid (0, 100)
etc/ftpusers:
	user (0, 100)
	gid (0, 100)
etc/hosts.equiv:
	permissions (0600, 0644)
etc/monthly:
	user (0, 100)
	gid (0, 100)
etc/netstart:
	permissions (0744, 0644)
etc/sendmail.cf:
	permissions (0644, 0444)
etc/weekly:
	user (0, 100)
	gid (0, 100)
etc/named.boot:
	type (file, link)
	permissions (0644, 0755)
root/.klogin:
	permissions (0600, 0644)
usr/games/hide:
	gid (0, 13)
usr/src:
	permissions (0775, 0755)
var/at: gid (1, 0)
var/log/authlog:
	permissions (0600, 0644)
var/mail:
	permissions (0755, 0757)
-----

missing: ./etc/crontab
missing: ./etc/exports
missing: ./root/.rhosts
missing: ./var/account/acct
missing: ./var/spool/ftp/bin/ls
missing: ./var/spool/ftp/etc/group
missing: ./var/spool/ftp/etc/localtime
missing: ./var/spool/ftp/etc/master.passwd
missing: ./var/spool/ftp/etc/passwd
missing: ./var/spool/ftp/pub
missing: ./var/spool/news

Thanks for any suggestions.

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
Rochester, NY 14614