Subject: Help w/strange SCSI error
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Douglas R. MacKintosh <doug@doug.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/14/1997 17:38:57
Greetings all,

I posted this to netbsd-help and didn't get any replies so I will
try netbsd-users.

I have a Sun SPARCstation SLC running NetBSD 1.2. All is well.

I added a fifth disk to the SCSI chain the other day and now get the
following squawkage when reading or writing heavily with the disk:

May 12 17:57:56 sputnik /netbsd: esp0: RESELECT: 7 bytes in FIFO!

Of the 5 drives on the machine only the one gives this error. This
drive is an older Quantum LPS240S but two of the other drives are
also older Quantums (LPS540S and LPS120S).

The drive in question has been in steady service since new in other
machines and has never burped even once so I am fairly confident
that the drive is OK.

Everything seems fine after the error so I assume the SCSI code
does The Right Thing and recovers properly. The file system
fsck's OK after erroring during a write.

My questions are:

1) What exactly does this error mean?
2) What are the possible causes of the error?

Thanks much for your input...

-- Doug

--
doug mackintosh