Subject: Re: release schedule? (was Re: FD_SETSIZE)
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/11/1997 18:20:03

> On Sun, 11 May 1997, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
>
> > To my mind, it'd be nice if there were a way to get a snapshot of the
> > 'last release branch' every day via sup or FTP, and if bug fixes
> > continued to happen in it, but the resources that that would require
> > are probably prohibitive for a project the size of NetBSD.
>
> 	Presumably what would be required is enough space for one extra
> 	copy of a source tree on any server making it available, and
> 	the time for admin to set it up?

(1) it's useless if only one server (or even a 'few servers') carry
it.  unfortunately, 100+M more source is a lot to ask 'random servers'
to carry.  However, "disk is cheap."

(2) it's useless if nobody's actually maintaining it, and carefully
integrating fixes as they happen.  This is not so easy -- it's a fair
bit of painstaking work, with a lot of weird constraints (e.g. you
can't fix bugs by adding functionality to libc, because you don't want
to have to increase the libc minor number, because if you do it'll be
out of sync with the trunk, etc.).

As far as I know, FreeBSD has gone a route like this, with their
"current" and "stable" branches.  I'm reasonably sure that FreeBSD
folks would be more than happy to say how difficult it is to maintain,
in practice.

cgd