Subject: Re: Java development
To: George Tavares <george@eps.ufsc.br>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/07/1997 17:01:08
Hello!

> 	In Solaris, you have two options in threads. You can set the system
> to make timeslices in Threads, i e, Each thread have your time slice to
> run in CPU, or you shedule the tasks, and in time slice of task you
> shedule the threads of this task. This second option is emulate thread.

The jdk 1.1.1 for Solaris < 2.6 uses currently "green threads" - which don't
support multi processors - threads are scheduled on one.

With Solaris >= 2.6 they invent posix threads, which are able to handle
multi prozessors.

> 	The SunOS and I think the other BSD's, they only have the Second
            ^^^^^

SunOS spelled as Solaris 1.x has no jdk at all.

> 	Now about JDK. The JDK, I believe, is portable. To be portable, they
> don't use the first option of solaris. The SunSoft have a package to
> solaris called Java Virtual Machine. I sugest use it to have a
> Multithread more eficient.

Yup, SUN gives out a beta for their JVM which will be included in
Solaris 2.6.

I just tryed the jdk 1.1.1 port for Linux - and they use "green threads"
too. But at least it works well on NetBSD/i386 current (as far as I
tested  :-).

Greets
--

   Name  : Thorsten Frueauf            Milano@irc cri@onaliM       //