Subject: release schedule? (was Re: FD_SETSIZE)
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Bob Sutterfield <Bob@XC.Org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/06/1997 12:26:14
Jason Thorpe writes:
> ...are you using NetBSD-current?
> ... -current can ...
> NetBSD-current also has a properly-implemented ...

I'm still using 1.2 because 1.2.1 hasn't been released yet.
And now it seems as if there are already features beyond that
mythical 1.2.1 that would be very helpful in running a stable
production system.  But we can't track the nightly changes in
-current because we're using NetBSD in just such as system.
Laine Stump and Jon Ribbens and others have expressed this
concern over just the past few days, and I've resorted to
snagging individual kernel sources from the -current tree to
fix particular problems.  I don't know what will happen to
those fixes if I ever install 1.2.1 (if it's ever released).

I understand this is the nature of a Net project, that its
releases are never as neat and tidy as a commercial product.
But is there any chance of driving a stake in the ground
sometime soon, and calling it 1.2.1?  And how about another
release, or maybe some straightforward patches with a high
degree of confidence that they'll install and work, to fix
the stability problems that Laine and others have described?

It's reassuring that a crew of very talented and motivated
developers are still working on the system, and I have no
doubt that everything's being addressed.  But it's faint
comfort to hear that the only way to get the fixes is to
run an ephemeral -current!  I'm a true believer in this OS
and in the benefits of free software, but I also have to
answer my bosses' questions about system reliability.  It's
getting harder and harder to resist buying an OS.
--
Bob Sutterfield                         +1 909 794 1151
Mission Aviation Fellowship / MAFlink Technical Manager