Subject: Re: Mysterious file disappearances?
To: None <fox@CS.McGill.CA>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/08/1995 11:45:34
>  I have /scratch mounted on /dev/sd0f. Now and then (indeterminate
>  times, but *maybe* around 2:00am fsck) I lose a bunch of files
>  in the directory (even lost a recent set of -current tarfiles..).

>  Do I
>
>    a) have a faulty drive?
Probably not.
>    b) have some sort of malicious program doing this?
Depends on your definition of "malicious."
>    c) send out for sandwiches?
Sounds good.
>    d) have a breakin? (I *really* don't think so...) (The machine
>       is up on slip for a few hours a day, and I'm always here..)
Hope not.

>  And another thing - as far as I can tell, the problem is affecting
>  just the one partition, /scratch... This partition used to be /usr,
>  and was in use as such for about 5 months, with no problems at all.

This is /etc/daily.  It, along with /etc/security, gets run every
night from root's crontab.  "crontab -e -u root" will change the
crontab.

					Chris

--
**********************cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu**********************
* Chris  | "Nobody likes brain alteration!"                              *