Subject: Mysterious file disappearances?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG, netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Colin BRADLEY <fox@CS.McGill.CA>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/08/1995 03:28:10
Hi.

  This is really weird. I've got a 1.0 system running on a 486/66 16MB,
  with an Ultrastor 34f driving a Seagate ST3600N and a Seagate
  ST31230N.

  I have /scratch mounted on /dev/sd0f. Now and then (indeterminate
  times, but *maybe* around 2:00am fsck) I lose a bunch of files
  in the directory (even lost a recent set of -current tarfiles..).

  At first it appeared to be just empty directories that would go,
  but now it's actual files, too. Sometimes some files in a directory,
  sometimes all, sometimes the directory too..

  Do I

    a) have a faulty drive?
    b) have some sort of malicious program doing this?
    c) send out for sandwiches?
    d) have a breakin? (I *really* don't think so...) (The machine
       is up on slip for a few hours a day, and I'm always here..)

  And another thing - as far as I can tell, the problem is affecting
  just the one partition, /scratch... This partition used to be /usr,
  and was in use as such for about 5 months, with no problems at all.

  What could be wrong?

  Thanks for any pointers or assistance anyone can provide me with.

Cheers, Colin.

--
  "I found an apple core *shoved*         Colin Bradley
   into the seat - I had to get a         fox@cs.mcgill.ca fox@bunyip.com