Subject: Re: how to compile with crypt?
To: None <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/15/1995 07:12:50
> I am trying to compile a simple pop3 server I found.  Compiles file
> except for the part that uses crypt.  I'm running NetBSD 1.0 without
> the passwd file encrypted so I figured I could changed the line:
> cp=crypt(pass,pwd->pw_passwd);
> to just...
> cp=pass,pwd->pw_passwd;

(Do you actually know C?  That change looks as though you don't.)  If
you're running with the old export libcrypt, then crypt() more or less
just returns its first argument; you can just leave the call intact.
Which you probably want to do anyway, so that if you ever get a real
libcrypt, the pop server will match what's in the passwd database.

> I can get it to start, but I can't log in!  What do I need to do?

I don't know; there are too many possible reasons.  For example, I
think the POP protocol simply does not work if your password contains a
space.  It could be something wrong with the code; the change you
quoted looks as though you don't understand it, but it also looks as
though what you did should work for you....

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu