Subject: Re: Small Problem:
To: None <jjasen1@gl.umbc.edu>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/13/1995 10:23:16
>I am running a machine at home, with two IDE drives. I
>partitioned/formatted/etc the second drive for NetBSD, and executed the
>copy_kernel command, as outlined in the INSTALL file.
>
>According to the INSTALL, and to the boot disk, this should now allow me
>to boot NetBSD off the hard drive. However, it boots straight into Win95.
>Is it something where BSD can't be installed on an IDE slave drive and
>boot, did I not execute a necessary step in telling it to give me a
>choice between Dos/Win and BSD, or am I missing the obvious?

I'm sure the BIOS boots from your primary disk .... your DOS/Win disk.
Your install of NetBSD to the second drive got the second disk ready to
boot, but the BIOS just ignores it AND you didn't do anything to the
boot program on your primary disk.

I use booteasy in this situation.  (booteasy replaces the Master Boot
Record on your primary disk.)  It is a boot selector that allows you
select which OS to boot.

(I don't have any experience in this, but I had someone tell me they
had problems with os-bs dealing with a secondary disk.)

--
Phil Nelson
e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu