Subject: Re: NetBSD calculates sd geometry oddly?
To: None <tls@cloud9.net>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/10/1995 08:46:21
   I've noticed twice now that NetBSD sometimes decides scsi disks have less
   sectors on them than other operating systems.

I don't know offhand why this is.  Maybe the other systems are
calculating it based on the (fake) geometry, and are including the
slip sectors?

   NetBSD seems to ask the drive for its geometry and multiply values to
   get the total number of sectors on the disk.

This is definitely *not* what it does.  The `sd' driver always queries
the driver for the total number of blocks.  In -current, this value is
put in the `d_secperunit' field of the label (which isn't actually
accessible through disklabel(8) for some reason); in 1.0 it was left
as 0.

You need to give hard numbers before I can really say what might be
causing this.