Subject: Recover corrupt root partition?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG, macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Goyette <Paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/25/1995 01:28:26
Ouch!

Running NetBSD/Mac (-current as of 4/15), I just had one of my hard drives
die a miserable death on me.  In the process, it seems to have corrupted my
root / partition.  Now, the boot utility refuses to load NetBSD,
complaining that the root file system has an incorrect magic number.

Of course, I _could_ reload from master copy of NetBSD, but I really would
like to recover some of the files that were on my root, like those that
were in /etc.  (Please - no chastising me for failure to make a backup -
I've already got scars from the self-flagellation.)  Anyone know of a way
to get at them?  Or maybe a way to fake the right magic number?

| Paul Goyette            | PGP Public key available on request  |
| Paul@pgoyette.bdt.com   | Fingerprint: 0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0 |
|                         |              E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6 |