Subject: Packages -- please respect the 4.4BSD directory structure!
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@cloud9.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/12/1995 19:01:05
I've been packaging a bunch of stuff up lately for a project and I find that
I'm forced to duplicate a lot of work that's already on the NetBSD FTP sites.

Please, before just doing everything the way you would on SunOS, take a good
hard look at the 4.4BSD refinements to the usual directory structure.  For
example, things like news databases probably belong in /var/db, and Perl and
Emacs ancilliary code almost certainly belongs *not* in /usr/local/lib but in
/usr/local/libdata.  Daemons belong in /usr/local/libexec.  And so following.

There's no reason to create unnecessary and irritating clutter when /usr
provides a good example of the Right Way to clean it up.

Thor