Subject: Re: ppp support in NetBSD-0.9 kernel?
To: Garth Corral <corral@svl.photronics.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/24/1995 00:42:05
>    has anyone out there succesfully built a NetBSD-0.9 kernel with
>ppp support?  I recently grabbed the ppp-2.1.2 sources off the net and
>would like to get this built for my 0.9 box.
>
>    After reading the install docs in the ppp package, it appears that
>the necessary sources for ppp support in various *BSD kernels are
>provided.  The problem is that while 386bsd pk 0.2.1 and NetBSD-current
>are addressed, NetBSD-0.9 is not.  I'm pretty sure that the kernel has
>changed substantially between 0.9 and 1.0.  The changes between 386bsd
>and NetBSD-0.9 are probably less dramatic but I don't know if the
>driver code for 386bsd will work for 0.9 out of the box.

At one time (a _long_ time ago) I had ppp working under 0.9.  Unfortunately,
I didn't save any of this work.  Before -current had diverged too far from 0.9,
I snagged a copy of ppp from it, and was able to back-port it to 0.9.

I don't think you're going to have anything that just works out of the box
under 0.9.  I would guess that the 386bsd instructions are the closest.

--Ken