Subject: ppp support in NetBSD-0.9 kernel?
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Garth Corral <corral@svl.photronics.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/23/1995 17:20:01
Hello,

    I recently posted the following to comp.protocols.ppp.

    has anyone out there succesfully built a NetBSD-0.9 kernel with
ppp support?  I recently grabbed the ppp-2.1.2 sources off the net and
would like to get this built for my 0.9 box.

    After reading the install docs in the ppp package, it appears that
the necessary sources for ppp support in various *BSD kernels are
provided.  The problem is that while 386bsd pk 0.2.1 and NetBSD-current
are addressed, NetBSD-0.9 is not.  I'm pretty sure that the kernel has
changed substantially between 0.9 and 1.0.  The changes between 386bsd
and NetBSD-0.9 are probably less dramatic but I don't know if the
driver code for 386bsd will work for 0.9 out of the box.

   If anyone has succesfully built a ppp aware 0.9 kernel I would be
very grateful for any help you can provide to get this going.  At this
point I just don't want to build a new kernel with no confidence that
it will even work.

                                                Thanks in advance,
                                                    Garth.

    For those of you about to tell me to upgrade to 1.0, I appreciate
your input (really) but that just isn't going to happen right now.
I use this system for work and just can't afford to have the system
down right now.  I am in the process of installing 1.0 on an amiga 3000
that I've resurrected from basement purgatory but I can only work on
this as time (and money) permits.  Until I can get that system to a
level of functionality at least on par with my i486/0.9 box I'm not
about to upgrade.  If I can't get ppp working with 0.9 I'll just be
happy with slip for now.

    FWIW, I've been incredibly pleased with my NetBSD-0.9 setup.  So
much so that I haven't been willing to expend the effort necessary to
subscribe to the OS version of the month.  Once I get a taste of the
shared libs (and other goodies) in 1.0, I'm sure that'll change.

                                      Thanks again for the help,
                                            Garth.