Subject: Re: i386 install blues
To: Timothy Newsham <newsham@aloha.net>
From: Timothy Newsham <newsham@aloha.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/21/1995 13:21:06
> Hi,
>   Been trying to install NetBSD/i386 for the last 12 hours without
> luck.  When I finally get base10 over (copied from msdos floppies)
> I start to gunzip it and it gets to abou 15megs and gets an error.
> Gunzip'ing it online on my BSD/OS account works fine.  I've downloaded
> the files several times, using different protocols and different
> programs and I've used different program to extract it... from
> the 'gunzip' that is a link to the 'cat' program on the boot
> disk to the 'gunzip' that comes in the base10 package (yes,
> I can extract parts of base10, just nothing near the end).
>
> What could be going wrong?

Turn off the cache:
  I tried turning off the external cache, and then the internal
cache and I raised the wait states.  This did not alleviate the
problem.

I did a cksum of the binaries and diff'ed them with my pre-downloaded
version.

   cksum base10.?? > sums

   % diff sums sums.unix
   22c22
   < 717802326 240640 base10.av
   ---
   > 262497788 240640 base10.av

Ok.  So I downloaded base10.av, put it onto floppy, booted netbsd
again and now did "cksum base10.av".  It was good.  Now I
checked the one that was reported not good.  It was also
good!  If I do "cksum base10.?? > sums" some of the sums are
bad but if I sum the individual file it comes out correct!

I suspect the scsi driver and/or hardware now.  The card is
"100% adaptect compatible" and as best as I can tell its
a 1540 controller.  (The docs show a screen with a scsi
driver loaded that says "AHA1510").  The controller is some
IDE + SCSI combo, there are only SCSI devices on it though.