Subject: 486 machines that don't (always?) reboot
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@cloud9.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/21/1995 12:08:17
In article <3iagpt$29f@dagny.galt.com>, alex wetmore <alex@phred.org> wrote:
>Walter Belgers (gigawalt@iaehv.IAEhv.nl) wrote:
>: Douglas Ambrisko <ambrisko@netcom.com> wrote:
>: %In article <3hoc3r$fue@iaehv.IAEhv.nl> gigawalt@iaehv.IAEhv.nl (Walter Belgers) writes:
>: %
>: %   In other words: I now have no working operating system and wish I'd
>: %   never bought the #@*&$^ motherboard and sticked with 1.1.5. This is my
>: %   last resort to find out if there are people who have succesfully
>: %   installed FreeBSD 2.0 on an ASUS SP3G (I have a Cyrix DX66 btw).
>: %
>: %All I can say it that it work fine for me with an AMD DX66 doing the
>: %"obvious" things.  But just as a previous NetBSD poster said FreeBSD 2.0
>: %also hangs on reboot.  That is it shuts down okay but just hangs on
>: %the reboot command.
>
>: The Cyrix also hung on the reboot command. I have now swapped the Cyrix
>: DX2-66 for an Intel DX2-66 and all my problems (i.e. memory erros and
>: bus errors) have vanished. It even reboots correctly.
>
>In one of that labs that I work in I've set up NetBSD 1.0 on an HP Vectra
>DX2/66 (intel).  It also hangs on the reboot command (about 75% of the time,
>one in a while it actually reboots).  So I don't think its necessarily an
>AMD or Cyrix thing.

Actually, this might have something to do with the BIOS on some PCI
motherboards.  I hve an SP3G (with an AMD processor) which not only won't
reboot from NetBSD, but won't reboot from Novell DOS or OS/2, either.  I
don't know why.  I've also heard people complain about this with some of
the newer DEC PCI machines.  FWIW, the SP3G uses the Award BIOS; I don't
know about the Vectra or the DEC machines.

The reboot command in BSDI actually warns you that you may have to hit
the reset switch.  This is no big deal for a machine on my desk, but it
is certainly inconvenient for machines I'd want to be able to reboot
remotely.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon                                               tls@cloud9.net

Somewhere they're meeting on a pinhead, calling you an angel.