Subject: Re: Linked files??? (was: Re: Strange thing with passwd file?)
To: Gerry Simmons Jr. <darykon!simmons@nwnexus.wa.com>
From: Wayne Berke <berke@panix.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/20/1995 11:43:41
In message <199502200702.XAA08315@darykon>, "Gerry Simmons Jr." writes:
> I took a good look around my system, and it appears that MANY of the utilities
> are hard linked to only a few files. I have no idea how this possibly works.

My guess is that they did this so they all could share the same statically
linked libraries.  When you want to install off a single floppy, you'd better
be space-efficient.  I suppose this super-utility simply switches to whatever
argv[0] is set to.

> Anyone know what
> the deal is here, and more importantly, how to fix this?

Extracting the base10 binary distribution will fix it.  Check the INSTALL
doc for instructions on using Set_tmp_dir, Extract, etc.