Subject: Re: Virtual TTYs in NetBSD 1.0
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/15/1995 19:14:24
>> One thing window can't do is let you run two X sessions on different
>> virtual terminals [...].

> I personally do not see any need for this at all.  I'm currently
> running ctwm and it allows for multiple workspaces.  The number of
> workspaces (call them virtual X sessions) is user configurable and
> they can share windows between different workspaces.  Granted, if you
> hose the X server, all workspaces are blown away, but that is not a
> real big deal.

What _is_ serious is that they are not separate sessions.  In my
environment at home, for example, it would be _very_ nice to have two
entirely distinct X sessions on the screen, one for me and one for my
SO.  Each with our own window manager, default resources, etc, etc.
Virtual terminals each supporting an X session would be exactly the
thing here.

In an environment where users don't leave themselves logged in for long
periods, such as the terminal rooms at work, this is not appropriate,
true...but in a shared office, or (as in my case) a shared machine at
home, where each person trusts the rest to not be actively hostile, it
can be nice to not have to shut your session down and then start it up
again next time.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu