Subject: Re: Virtual TTYs in NetBSD 1.0
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/12/1995 23:49:22
>If you reconfigure your kernel with a `vt0' rather than a `pc0',
>you'll have virtual terminals.  However, I'm unconvinced that this
>is really an important feature.  window(1) even lets me do tiled or
>partially overlapping windows, and I don't have to bloat the kernel
>to do it.

One thing window can't do is let you run two X sessions on different virtual
terminals (say if you want an X session, and your wife wants another).  I
agree that it's kernel bloat, but not everybody has to compile it in.  pcvt
also can emulate those silly HP terminals with the menu of function keys
on the bottom row, which is nice if you want to install patches under HP-UX.

--Ken