Subject: Com Ports / UUCP
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Shannon Appel <appel@cea.Berkeley.EDU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/04/1994 10:57:02
I appreciate all of the kind and helpful responses that I got to my
question yesterday.  As several people pointed out, the way that
Carrier Detect interacts with the modem has changed in 1.0 to become
more rational.  To ensure that your modem works on your com port, you
now must -either- (a) set "local" in your /etc/ttys file and run
'ttyflags -a' -or- (b) set the CD on your modem to always be high.  I
did so, and all of the connection problems have gone away.

Unfortunately, one of the UUCP problems that I was experiencing was
something different, and not effected by this change.  When uucico is
run on my home system, to try and download and upload mail to my
internet connection, it hangs at random intervals, usually after
transferring some amount of data.  These hangs only seem to happen
when uucico is uploading, not downloading (I think).  So, my final
query is, has anyone had experience with UUCP under 1.0?  Does any one
know of a change that might have occurred which would effect UUCP in
this way?

Shannon