Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.0 com ports
To: Shannon Appel <appel@cea.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/03/1994 17:36:31
>I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had problems with modems &
>com ports on NetBSD 1.0.  The com ports themselves work fine, as does
>a mouse connected up to either one, but if interfacing to a modem,
>things spaz out.
>
>uucico drops the connection after a short amount of time (strangely
>enough, it gets an instant ERROR: line disconnected if run normally,
>but gets to transfer a little bit of info if run with a -x9), while
>tip and kermit both have problems connecting to the modem at all.  any
>ideas?  anyone else seen this?

Did you try setting softcar or local on the specified lines?  (I'm assuming
that getty is disabled on those lines, right?).  tip doesn't open the
ports in non-blocking mode, so you'll need to set it to use softcar if you
want to use it.

Alteratively, if you create /etc/uucp/port, and put something like this
in it:

port tty00
 type modem
 device /dev/tty00
 speed 57600

You'll be able to use "cu" quite nicely.

--Ken