Subject: Re: Tuning problems?
To: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegel@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/30/1994 19:23:53
On Sun, 30 Oct 1994 17:13:32 -0800 (PST)
 Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegel@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us> wrote:

 > 3) XFree 3.1 isn't quite cooperating either.  Possibly an oversight
 > on my part, but xdm can't start in the rc.local because I'm missing
 > a lib file.  Should it be started after ldconfig and should I have
 > LD_LIBRARY_PATH set somewhere in rc?  The file is there.

I always re-arrange rc.local so it does the ldconfig right after the motd
stuff...To avoid this problem...

 > 4) What is the ie0 device?  I assume it's some flavor of network
 > card, but why does the boot floppy (kcaha) see it on my machine?
 > I don't see a network card.  Maybe it's a VR card.  :)

Whenever I boot a GENERIC* kernel one of my 3c503's comes up like this,
too.  I guess whenever the kernel finds what looks like an ethernet
interface, but it can't really talk to it that well (like kernel and card
don't match iomem, irq, etc...) it calls it ie?: Unknown AT&T board...At
least, that's what I see...your mileage may vary :-)

Later...

Jason R. Thorpe               thorpej@cs.orst.edu                 758-2003
Systems Administrator            CSWest Room 5                    737-5567
CS Dept, Oregon State University           http://www.cs.orst.edu/~thorpej
               "I brought my BOWLING BALL -- and some DRUGS!"
                      -- ztp