Subject: Re: 1.0 features?
To: None <ifzd321@mcl.cc.utexas.edu>
From: None <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/27/1994 16:50:26
   Unless I misunderstand things, EVERYONE with more than 16Meg of ram
   MUST have bounce buffers.

I don't know where you got that theory, but it's absolutely false.  VLB,
EISA, and PCI cards have no such limitation[1].

[1] However, that's somewhat misleading.  If you're running such a card
in ISA compatibility mode, then it may only use 24 address bits.  This
would be the case, e.g., with a 1742 running in 1542 compatibility
mode.  Since we always run the 1742 in `enhanced' mode, this is not a
problem.

BusLogic cards that can't decided whether they're ISA or EISA are a
whole other mess that I don't want to get into.  As far as I know, they
use a full 32-bit address for all but the ISA-only cards.