Subject: Re: NFS crashes over PPP
To: None <rjr@sparks.empath.on.ca>
From: David Gluss <david@pure.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/05/1994 12:09:44
>>>>> On Tue, 4 Oct 1994 Robert Rutter said:

    RR> David Gluss wrote ->
    ->
    -> 19200 baud serial cable.  Everything is wonderful except
    ->
    -> I have a cheapo serial card with no fifo, and I see error messages
    -> "3 silo overflows", where 3 is variable.  I conclude that PPP
    -> is not error-resistant??? though I see ack/nak and error checking
    -> code.

    RR> How does it work at 9600 baud?

At 9600 (and under X, so I could see the error messages) I got
ENOBUF from NFS, then a silo overflow or two.  I'm going to try at
some ridiculously low speed, then pursue the hypothesis that PPP
isn't providing a reliable enough protocol for NFS.

NFS expects a reliable protocol like TCP, and PPP supplies a protocol
that may require retransmit by the higher level layer.  Of course,
I don't even know for sure that that is true. (about either one)

More news at 11.

--David Gluss    david@pure.com     408-524-3028