Subject: Re: Any network performance numbers available for NetBSD
To: Rich Van Gaasbeck <richv@hpinddu.cup.hp.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/15/1994 13:18:57
On Wed, 15 Jun 94 11:06:47 PDT
 Rich Van Gaasbeck <richv@hpinddu.cup.hp.com> wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > Has anyone gathered any networking performance numbers for NetBSD?
 > Ideally I'd like to see throughput and latency numbers from a 486/66
 > with a either a 3c507, WD8003, or SMC Elite16C Ultra (in that order of
 > preference).  In particular, I'd be interested in the numbers from the
 > benchmark program available via anonymous ftp at

In one particular ftp transfer across a Cisco router from a NetBSD/i486
with a 3c503 (486/33) to a Sparc 1+ I had a 5meg go in 3 seconds or so...

I'll compuile the benchmark as soon as I upgrade to June sources...

 > col.hp.com:dist/networking/benchmarks/exp/netperf-1.8.tar.Z
 >
 > Of course I'll never be lucky enough for someone to already have run
 > these benchmarks, so how about some more general questions.
 >
 > How does NetBSD's networking performance compare to other PC Unixes,
 > especially the freely available variety?  Of the common ethernet cards
 > that have NetBSD drivers, which gives the best performance?  How fast
 > does the networking "feel"?  Are any NFS benchmark numbers available?
 > What kind of transfer rates does ftp report?  Can you saturate an
 > ethernet with two machines?
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > Rich Van Gaasbeck
 > richv@cup.hp.com

Jason R. Thorpe                thorpej@cs.orst.edu                   737-9533
OSU CS Support                    CSWest Room 12                     737-5567
      'These are my opinions and not necessarily those of anyone else.'
            NetBSD/Symmetry - Coming soon to a Sequent near you!