Subject: Re: Are two disks better than one?
To: Douglas K. Rand <rand@aero.und.nodak.edu>
From: Peter da Silva <peter@Taronga.COM>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/19/1994 00:21:08
> Buying the two disks is about $150 cheaper. The question is does
> having two disks (one with poorer performance) buy me anything?

Usually. Are you going to be doing a lot of compiles or newsfeeds or
other things that want to beat on two areas (/tmp and . or /usr/lib
for the one, in.coming and newsspool for the other). With two spindles
you get minimum seeking, since you don't have to keep switching between
active areas.

Also, with 2 disks you have easier recovery if you lose one.
--
Peter da Silva, 77272-0711 USA                  `-_-'
Zure otsoa besarkatu al duzu gaur?               'U`