Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.0
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@wrl.EPI.COM>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/15/1994 16:44:03
> I would love to have some of the features that are now in NetBSD-current
> (shared libs, for one), but my only option is to upgrade to NetBSD-current,
> which is an extremely hairy procedure at best.  I have gotten the sense
> (perhaps wrong) that the majority of people that are running NetBSD-current are
> doing so just because they can't wait for a new release either.

I hate to get involved in these sorts of discussions, but I have to put in
my $0.02 worth...

There are such a *huge* list of changes since the 0.9, including patches
shared libs etc etc etc, that it is becoming very difficult to get new
users to use NetBSD. A conversation goes something like this:

	"Can I have a copy of NetBSD please?"

	"Yeah sure, here you go..."

Some time later...

	"Hang on, where are all those nifty features I was reading about
	 in comp.os.386bsd.* ?"

	"Oh, you need to get up to -current"

	"Why didn't you give me that in the first place then ?"

	"..."

What would be really nice to see would be a 0.9.1 release, with
basically the same installation format etc, buut all the nice new
bits. I have built my own copies of these before for a limited set
of hardware, and I would be quite happy to put this together so that
the core team don't have to use up their time. I suspect however
that any "unofficial" release will be frowned upon hugely and
also cause *large* support nightmares.

So I ain't going to do any release sets, and just wait, patient as ever
:-) I am just worried about the number of "lost" users tho'

--
Peter Galbavy				e-mail: P.Galbavy@wonderland.org
Wonderland				  work: P.Galbavy@micromuse.co.uk

	  "And you will know exactly who you are, forever,
		by knowing what it is that you love."